Pages

Thobdapustak

Friday, December 27, 2013

Book Review- Jaya: An Illustrated Retelling of the Mahabharata

Jaya: An Illustrated Retelling of the MahabharataJaya: An Illustrated Retelling of the Mahabharata by Devdutt Pattanaik

My rating: 5 of 5 stars


When I read Jaya: An Illustrated Retelling Of The Mahabharata, I did not think it would have any different treatment of the Mahabharata. Well, I was proved wrong. It certainly was a very intelligently written interpretation. I thought it was very objectively treated with illustrations and boxed notes. It really gave the newcomer an introduction to the epic. What I liked about it was that the epic was very well researched and the narration was continuous; albeit with a few strategic breaks that correctly cross referenced with the original flow. I think this is necessary because the epic of such magnanimous proportions cannot be made very lucid as much as one tries. Devdutt Pattanaik has surely succeeded in making it lucid and easy to read in a condensed format. Kudos to the author for making this a refreshing read.



View all my reviews

No comments: